Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My 16th Birthday

Sarah Candon

Last Saturday it was my 16th birthday. I was disappointed at first when I thought of my 16th being in India but it turned out to be the best birthday ever. On Friday night everyone was asking me was I annoyed. I wasn't getting anything for my birthday. So I assumed no one had got me anything. Saturday morning I woke up to the biggest and blackest spider I have ever seen in my whole life. I screamed my head of and ran away. Miss Murphy got rid of it before all the girls passed out from terror and she wished me Happy Birthday. I completely forgot it was my birthday because the spider freaked me so much. Then Beatrijs produced this big card she had made which everyone signed and made me cry. It was sweet and thoughtful especially what they said. When I walked out to breakfast all sang happy birthday and a few of the guys gave me presents, mostly sweets, excepts for Neil who gave me body oil and boxers from Calvin.

We had building that day, which was our first day. So we were all very enthusiastic but that is slowly beginning to fade. After building I got the first shower because it was my birthday. That was great. In the afternoon we visited a village where I befriended a baby goat. I held it in my arms until we had to go. He was so cute. I miss him.

On the way back to our accommodation Calvin, Brian and Kevin wanted to sit on the roof of the jeep but Kevin gave up his space so I could sit there. It was fabulous. It was so refreshing and the view was incredible. Mr. Alex was kind of worried though, because they drive so fast and the roads are very uneven, but we survived.

At dinner I got more presents, like Indian jewelry and an Indian dress. I love my presents, they are so different. After dinner Miss Murphy gave me a box of biscuits and I blew out a candle. A cake would have been a bit difficult to find. That night there was a bonfire and everyone sang songs. Best song of the night was when Leen and Rob Dempsey sang “My Sarah”by Thin Lizzy. It was epic. The entire day was amazing. I smiled the whole time because everyone made such an effort for it to be special for me. I remember that 16th birthday for the rest of my life.

No comments: