Received 7:30 GMT 19th October
So, we settled down in the airport for a nap. Most of us couldn't find a space on the chairs so we had to sleep on the floor. the floor was actually quite nice, seeing as we hadn't really slept in aboooout 12 hours... During the long wait I decided to go get a doughnut or maybe a crepe from the shops down the hall. I was greeted with a resounding "We're closed" from both vendors. Fun times!
After our massive wait in the airport we finally got to get closer to the plane! Unfortunately though, we now had a three hour delay waiting for the plane. Time to hit the floor! Finally, we get on the plane as it starts to lash rain and thunder and lighting. We are sitting on the plane for about an hour now, when all of a sudden, CAFUFFLE! People at the back of the plane are suddenly very angry and demanding they be allowed off the plane! We soon hear that these people had a very young child who was burning up in the back because of the lack of adequate air conditioning. Fair enough, but when we finally get back to the terminal and there is an ambulance waiting for them, they don't board the ambulance, they decide to wait for the new plane the rest of the passengers (including us) are waiting for. Wha-? I don't even.
FINALLY! We're in Kolkata!
Phew! On the journey to Loretto school, it really hits me how poor this place really is. We pass slums and desolate houses, falling apart because of humidity and heat. People sleep on the path half naked. It has an extremely humbling effect on me, but I can go back home. These people are home. Now, I'm not one to suddenly change his opinion on a matter, and I knew that Kolkata would be extremely poor, so I'm not going to come back to Ireland "a changed man". Not even close! I'm still Tim Cleary!
Just the other day we went out to central Kolkata, near the Ganges. At this point many of us had already experienced the creepiness of India, and when I say creepiness, I do indeed mean CREEPiness. Men getting a little too close for comfort on the train, wandering hands getting a little too close to pockets, and of course, the staring. Yes, we got stared at. Everywhere we go, we get odd looks because we are very white, sweaty and kind of loud! Fair enough then, let people stare, but it's not so much fun when people start to take your picture. People keep coming up to us and taking either pictures of us or pictures with us. WTF?!? :O I feel like an animal in a zoo! I'm sure it must be interesting to see a white person walking around in India, but you just don't go around taking pictures! That would be like if you saw an albino on Grafton street. Sure they might get looks, but no one would go up and ask for a picture or take one! Anyway, the boat on the Ganges was fun, but Delia had the most fun on that trip! A bird, ahem, "relieved itself" upon her head! LOL! It pooped in her hair! Anyway, we made it to the temple and had a grand ol' time walking around looking at stuff. The weird thing about India is that you have to pay for absolutely everything! Even the public toilets! And I bet ya didn't know there was such a thing as half a rupee!
So, tomorrow we're off to the Sunderbans (?). Goodbye electricity!
1 comment:
Heya Son!!
We miss you!!! but hope you're enjoying the trip and that the creatures aren't bothering ya too much. We'll go to Nando's as soon as you get home.
Lotsa love,
Mom, Katie, Christina and Bearzo
xxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment