Monday, October 31, 2011

Samantha Boyle Reflects

As we arrived in the Sunderbands I had the idea I hated India when really I never gave it a chance. The Sunderbands was amazing. The village spirit is breathtaking; little kids showed up to school early and without being asked formed a line to help carry bricks. With a few adjustments it was  working like a well-oiled machine. Their little bright faces light up as you said hello or thank you and their smile was so infectious you just couldn't be in a bad mood.
This however was not just for building our relationships and building schools it was also to build a link between our school and the Loreto girls, of which five of them joined us. Unfortunately one had to leave early but it was
good the others decided to stick it out and I think they were happy in the end.
The worst bit about being back in Calcutta apart from the wonderfully smooth non-bumpy journey (yeah right.... I wish! )  is the fact that the girls are leaving; us I wish they were staying with us. To be honest I thought it was going to be tough to include them because we are such a tight group; turns out it was easy.

I think India has given me an experience I will never re-live and going on surveys in the village showed me how easy life is for us. For example a women can't remarry if she has a kid yet husbands often leave their wives. In
Ireland the women would move on or at least has the option to. These people have very little yet they are all so happy there is no way you can be in a bad mood over here because every dark brown eye may have a
sad tale behind it but glistens when they get a little hope for the future or if you take the time to talk to them .

Every smile is breathtaking, India is breathtaking and I'm dreading leaving.

1 comment:

Michael Telford said...

Most touching to read your story, Samantha. Delighted to know that it is having this effect on you and your classmates, and that the endearing nature of the Indian people is shining so brightly. Well done; we are admiring you all from a distance.
Dr. Telford