Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How much I miss cutlery.

How much I miss cutlery.

Ellius Grace


One thing in life I thought I could always do without was cutlery: two simple metal or plastic objects used to move food from one place to another. But here in India when dinner time comes around we have to grab at a single glass filled with an assortment of utensils for our food, which never seem to have enough of each, especially forks, to go round. It is true that there are more of each kind up at the counter but after a long day of laying bricks, mixing cement and concrete and general building work, hardly anyone is bothered to go get one. This normally leaves at least one or two people per table spreading butter with a fork or trying to eat rice with a knife. This is just one of the things that I miss in India.

Living with my class makes me miss another thing: my space, space is something we all take for granted, going home to a house, and getting away from the people you learn with. In India, we are forced to use the same transport, toilets, rooms, work space and eve beds in some places. Living in such close proximity isn’t all that bad but when it comes to getting sick, it isn’t pleasant: smells leak to your area and tempers get worse. The fact that we’re doing strenuous work every dy in the boling heat doesn’t improve our well being.

These are just a few things that I miss from home.

No comments: