Wednesday, February 21, 2007

WOW by Cecelia Van de Belt.


Written onboard Air India Flight 151 on 15-02-07

Wow! It seemed like just a few days ago since we got off the plane at Dum Dum airport, and now we’re already on the plane home. I swear I have never felt any three weeks pass so fast!

No amount of stories or photos could have prepared me for all the sights and sounds which I have seen and heard. Everything seemed like an experience in itself, from simply walking to the shop to bricklaying.

Also everything seemed to come in extremes.The extreme difference between the dirty streets of Calcutta to the gorgeous Mayfair in Puri, the money for which we raised ourselves. There is no in between from very rich to heartbreakingly poor.
I loved everything about our trip. Anything unexpected could happen and so there was always some sort of sense of anticipation. Like seeing a young girl with twelve fingers or a man with both patches of white and black skin on his face You never know what you have to conquer next.

Yesterday at the market, two fighting bulls came out of nowhere, knocking over a row of bikes which in turn fell on a passing man, causing him to stumble and his leg became dislocated in front of my eyes. Something not very likely to happen in Ireland (maybe because cows don’t wander freely on the roads there), but in India it seems like there is danger around every corner.

Calcutta is said to be one of the safest cities in the world. Everything is so much freer, like no boundaries for the crazy driving, being able to spit, litter and urinate anywhere at any time, or cramming fourteen people into one tuc tuc. These things are merely a fact of life over here and the people don’t know of anything other.

Although the comforts of home are very appealing, I am very heartbroken indeed
to be leaving this crazy India. I have learned a great deal about the physical country
and its lifestyles but also a lot of personal wisdom.
I have conquered myself to accept things the way they come and always to have faith
in Mr. Alexander. But much more important, I have learned of sincere gratitude.
After you have seen all the poverty in India, you just have to be grateful for the
fortunate lives we lead.



Cecilia van de Belt.

No comments: